Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Roasted Marrow Bones with Toast and Parsley Salad





My kitchen is once again my domain. The excitement that this endeavor brings is quite indescribable. Those who return to their knives, pots and pans after an extended absence will empathize with my inherent joy. Circumstances out of my control left me unable to cook and blog seriously, so this return to basics is rewarding and rejuvenating. 

Marrow bones are rarely found in the average grocery stores. So when I spot them, I know what's for lunch. Granted, marrow is not everyone's favorite. But those who love the gelatinous filling appreciate their clean simple taste. 

The butcher halves them lengthwise for me. All they need is seasonings and a hot oven. Grilled sourdough to pile the marrow onto. And a light parsley salad. Marrow is fatty, so parsley freshens your palate. 

We usually fight over tiny lamb or mutton marrow bones, so having a whole bone to myself is going to be gratifying! 



ROASTED MARROW BONES WITH TOAST AND PARSLEY SALAD
Serves 2
DF, GF, WF, EF

2 Beef Marrow Bones, cut lengthwise in half
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Sourdough Bread

Parsley Salad

1/2 cup Parsley leaves and tender stems
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Lemon
Kosher Salt
Ground Pepper


Heat the oven to 400F. 

Line a baking tray with aluminum foil.

Lay the marrow bones cut side up on tray.

Season with salt and pepper.




Bake marrow for 15 minutes.

Place a stove top grill over a high flame.

Grill a few slices of sourdough bread till you have golden brown char marks, turning often. Cut bread into fingers.




Make the salad by tossing parsley, olive oil, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice in a bowl. 




Take the bones out of the oven. The marrow should have a jelly-like consistency. 




Arrange cooked marrow on a platter. 

Place some toast points and salad onto the plate.




Scoop the marrow and enjoy this simple repast!




One big bone oozing marrow, is scooped onto toast points, jiggling it's way into my mouth. Lemon draped parsley adds necessary tang. These roasted marrow bones walk me through my satisfied palate...and my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment