Saturday, September 16, 2023

Peach Coconut Panna Cotta with Pistachio

It isn't often that I try a new dessert before I have company coming to dinner. So I make this with fingers crossed.

Peaches are peeled and pureed along with coconut milk. Gelatin blooms in milk instead of water.  In spite of my trepidations, my audacious efforts work out pretty well. The dessert doesn't have the silky smooth texture of the original as I haven't sieved the mixture. I prefer the mouthfeel of peach puree. Coconut milk offers an Asian twist. Chopped peaches and pistachio powder draw out fruit and nut flavors. I am delighted with this medley. So are my guests!


PEACH COCONUT PANNA COTTA WITH PISTACHIO

Serves 6-8


4  ripe Peaches

1 cup Milk, whole or 2%

1 packet unflavored Gelatin

1/2 cup Coconut Milk

1 Lemon

1 cup heavy Cream

1/2 cup Sugar

1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt

Pistachio powder or chopped Pistachios


Pour milk into a bowl. 

Sprinkle the packet of gelatin over milk. Let it bloom for 5-10 minutes.

Peel and pit 3 peaches. Chop roughly. 

Place peaches in a blender.

Add coconut milk  and juice of lemon to peaches. Blend till smooth.

Pour mixture into a saucepan and heat for 5 minutes over a medium flame . 

Add milk and gelatin to the saucepan. Stir well. 

Add cream, sugar and salt to saucepan. 

Stir till smooth. 

Take it off the flame and cool for 15 minutes. 

Divide among 6-8 ramekins. 

I like to line my ramekins with plastic wrap. This way is easier as I don't have to dip the ramekins in hot water before inverting them onto a plate. 

Cover well and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. 

Chop remaining peach into small dice. 

When you are ready to serve invert the ramekin over a plate and gently remove the plastic wrap. 

Scatter peaches and pistachio powder over panna cotta and serve. 




I am thankful the experiment succeeded.  Even happier to see the panna cotta disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment