Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Guava Cheesecake

I am meeting cherished friends after six months! So lunch is to be a small  spread.  Fresh baked bread, fish tagine, potatoes and black beans, fava bean salad, devilled eggs and the sweet finish is a guava cheesecake. 

I discover a pouch of raspberry-pink guava pulp. It is thick and viscous, ideal for my no-bake cheesecake. My sister makes a strawberry one that I can polish off all by myself. I substitute the strawberry puree for guava. Whipped with cream cheese, cream and sugar, the batter is mixed with gelatin and set in a graham cracker crust. I love the ease of this fast setting dessert.  Unusual and delicious too!


GUAVA CHEESECAKE

Adapted from Prasanna Gokhale

Serves 8


1 cup Graham Cracker  crumbs ( 9 Graham Crackers pulsed in a food processor)

4 tablespoons melted Butter

1 tablespoon Sugar

1 envelop unflavored Gelatin

2 tablespoons Water

1 cup Guava Pulp plus 2 tablespoons more for garnishing

8 oz Cream Cheese, softened

1 1/4 cup Cream

1/3 cup Sugar


Combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar in a bowl. Use a fork to mix the crumbs till they resemble wet sand.

Transfer the crumbs to a 9" pie or quiche plate. I like one with a fluted edge.

Press the crumbs into the plate with a spatula going all the way up the sides of the dish. Keep aside. 


Heat the gelatin and water in a double boiler. I used a small pan of simmering water, over which I placed a larger pan that held the gelatin and water. Whisk till gelatin has dissolved. It should take about 4-5 minutes.

Process guava pulp, cream cheese, cream and sugar in a food processor till smooth. 

Add gelatin and pulse a few times.

Pour this mixture over the graham cracker crust. 

Smooth the top with a spatula. 

Dot the top with small portions of guava pulp. 

Poke the guava dots with the tip of a skewer. Move the skewer clockwise to make swirls in the top of the cheesecake. Or leave this step out and proceed.

Cover and refrigerate for 4-5 hours or until firm.

Cut slices and enjoy!




Lunch is a languorous al fresco affair. Wine flows, appetites are sated and the magic of friendship lives on.



No comments:

Post a Comment