Saturday, February 20, 2021

Caramel Custard



Sometimes the most easy recipes can bedevil you. I've made caramel custards over the years since my husband favors them,  but the last few attempts have been disastrous. Cant figure why!  So I look for a 'foolproof' version, which I try. Disaster follows! The caramel, made with sugar and water doesn't turn golden even after a long boil. So it is discarded and I start the traditional way, cooking the sugar till it melts and caramelizes. The next  calamity unfolds. Really, the custard is easy. All items mixed in a bowl and then ladled into caramel coated ramekins and baked. Chagrin begins when I find after an extended bake, the custard hasn't set....I think I  followed the recipe to a tee, exasperation prevailing.

While the custard still bakes, I comb through several caramel custard versions,  finally figuring that I'm missing a water bath! More important... I realize I did not read the original recipe in its entirety! Something I do often....My bad! 

The ramekins are rescued from the oven and arranged in a baking dish. Hot water is poured in. A quick bake and the custards emerge a little jiggy. My patience is extended as I cool them in the fridge. One more dip in hot water, a knife run around the edges and the custard is inverted onto a plate. Perfection at last!



CARAMEL CUSTARD

Makes 6 large ramekins


Caramel

1/2 cup Sugar


Custard

2 cups Milk

1/2 cup Sugar

A Pinch of Kosher Salt

2 Eggs, at room temperature

1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1/8 teaspoon grated Nutmeg



Have 6  large ramekins ready.

Make the caramel first by putting the 1/2 sugar in a saucepan. 

Place the saucepan over medium heat. Watch the sugar carefully, swirling the pan as the sugar melts. Do not use a spoon. 

The sugar should turn golden brown. Take it off the flame. 

Working quickly divide the caramelized sugar between the 6 ramekins. 

Pour enough to coat the bottoms of the ramekins only. 

Set ramekins aside, allowing sugar to cool  and firm up. It might crackle and pop as it does. Nothing to worry!

Whisk milk, sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla and nutmeg powder well. 


Wait till the caramel has cooled before you pour the custard into the ramekins.

Heat oven to 300F/150C.

Pour custard into ramekins. If you like, you could use a strainer to pour the custard for a smoother texture. I didn't bother.

Place the ramekins in baking dish. 

Pour hot water into the dish until it reaches halfway up to the ramekins.

Bake for 25 minutes or till the custard is almost set.

Take the ramekins out of the oven. lift them out of the water bath and cool for 5 minutes on the counter. 

At this stage you could refrigerate the custards if  you like them cold. If you do, then dip the ramekins in hot water before unmolding and follow the directions that come next.

Run a sharp knife along the edges of the ramekins. 

Invert a plate over the ramekin.

Flip the ramekin and plate so the custard plops onto the plate.

Fetch a spoon and take a bite of silken goodness.


Success at last! And deservedly so, as the results are quite lovely. Silky smooth custard is coated in a rich caramel sauce...happiness.

4 comments:

  1. I must try your recipe. Mine is sooooo rich I don’t make it very often. I love the taste the burnt sugar gives the custard😋

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try your recipe. Mine is sooooo rich I don’t make it very often. I love the taste the burnt sugar gives the custard😋

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must try your recipe. Mine is sooooo rich I don’t make it very often. I love the taste the burnt sugar gives the custard😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try this one Marisela. It is light as a feather!

      Delete