Thursday, January 7, 2021

Leek and Parsnip Soup




What soothes the fevered brow? What calms an outraged heart? The dastardly events of the outgoing administration have generated an abhorrence for dirty politics and admiration for those who stand up for their beliefs. This blog is not a platform for politics, just a home cook's ruminations on life. But I feel I have to address the elephant in the room. I love my adopted country. I have raised my children here. I will die an American. So the assault on liberty and life is one I take to heart. As I watch on television, the very core of democracy invaded by hateful rhetoric and deeds, I fall back to what soothes my soul....I cook...something comforting...something familiar...soup. 

The New York Times features an intriguing soup with parsnips and leeks. With a few adjustments, I rustle up a velvety bowl of green goodness. Sustenance, nourishment, call it what you will, soup is an easy fix.


LEEK AND PARSNIP SOUP

Adapted from David Tanis

Serves 6



1 large Leek (2 heaping cups of sliced Leeks)

2-3  Parsnips (2 cups chopped Parsnips)

2 tablespoons Olive Oil

3 Garlic cloves

1 Bay Leaf

1/4 teaspoon Curry Powder

3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt

Fresh Ground Black Pepper

3-4 cups Chicken Stock OR Water


Trim and wash leek. Cut leek into thin half moons. You should have about 2 heaping cups of chopped leeks, white and green parts.

Peel parsnips and cut into 1/2" pieces.

Heat olive oil in a deep saucepan. 

Add leeks and parsnips to oil and sweat them for 7-10 minutes till leeks are soft and translucent. Do not brown the leeks as browning them will change the color and taste of the final product.

Mince garlic finely.

Add garlic, bay leaf, curry powder, salt and pepper to leeks. Mix well.

Pour chicken stock into the saucepan and bring to simmer. 

Simmer soup over a medium flame for 15 minutes. 

Then puree the soup in a blender.

Return the soup to the saucepan.

Taste and adjust seasonings if you need to.

The soup is a thickish puree at this point. 

You could thin the soup out with more stock or water or leave it as a thick potage. If you do thin it out, add a little more salt and pepper.

Heat soup till bubbling.

Ladle soup into bowls.

Swirl a little cream over soup and serve.

 

 

A bowl of soup is just the right thing.  Soothing. No more TV tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment