Friday, October 18, 2019

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail



The sight of a sundae glass filled to the brim with shrimp and crabmeat is enough to drive my taste buds into a tizzy. This is what happens to me when Madeleine takes me to Goode Company Seafood in Houston to sample their campechana. The glass overflows with piquant flavors. A side of corn chips, the requisite crunch, sits alongside. Wet and dry, savory and crunchy, the campechana bowls me over! Madeleine and I bond over spoonfuls of spice and seafood! This encounter occurred a few years ago, but that taste stay with me, embedded in my culinary consciousness. 

When friends come to visit, I attempt to recreate my memory. It will not be the same, but try I must. Shrimp are dusted with baking soda and boiled quickly. Baking soda allows the shrimp to stay soft and plump. I mix Clamato juice, ketchup, red onion, olives, cilantro stems and leaves, green chiles, chile flakes, Mexican oregano, lime juice and a firm avocado. Clamato juice is the essential component, as I reiterated in the cauliflower ceviche. It comes in gallon size bottles as well as small 6oz cans. Needless to say I prefer the latter! Easier to work with.  I like to use cilantro leaves and stems as I love their crunch and taste. Cooled shrimp are halved lengthwise, then cut in chunks for easy eating. Scrape the shrimp and diced avocado into the tomato mix, which should be thickish. Refrigerate for thirty minutes before you reach for the corn chips! Swoop in with a chip and enjoy! 


MEXICAN SHRIMP COCKTAIL
Serves 4 as a first course or 8 as an appetizer
DF


8-10 large Shrimp, peeled and deveined
A large pinch of Baking Soda
1/4 cup Red Onion, diced
1/4 cup green Olives, roughly chopped
1/2 cup Cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped
1 small Green Chile, sliced finely
1 6oz can or 2/3 cup of Clamato (Use Tomato Juice if you cannot find Clamato) 
1/4 cup Tomato Ketchup
1/4 teaspoon Chile Flakes (more if you like it muy caliente)
1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican Oregano
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Lime
1 firm Avocado, cut in small chunks
Corn Chips or Tortilla Chips



Heat water in a small saucepan. 

Dust shrimp with baking powder.




When it boils add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes. Drain shrimp and cool. 

Cut the shrimp in half lengthwise and then in halves again. You should have small chunks.









Shake Clamato can well before you pour it into a stainless steel or glass bowl.

Add tomato ketchup, onion, olives, green chile,chile flakes, oregano, garlic powder and salt. Whisk well.




Squeeze the juice of the entire lime into the tomato mix. 

Add shrimp and diced avocado. Gently stir the cocktail. 







Refrigerate for 30 minute as flavors infuse.

Serve in small bowls as a first course or in a large bowl as an appetizer. 

Corn or tortilla chips are a must!




As we scoop and eat, I am reminded of the visit. Of my cherished friendship with Madeleine. She makes her family into guinea pigs, plunging headlong into this blog's recipes. For that alone I owe her a debt of gratitude. And also for being my lifelong friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment