Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Chocolate Pistachio Fridge Cake





Ottolenghi recipes never fail to delight. They include a melange of vegetables, a few meat-centric nuggets, involve a multi-step cooking process with a string of ingredients as long as my arm, and eventually pleases the palate. Not complaining, no no no. I usually maneuver my way through the labor intensive recipes. So when I find an easy dessert, I am ecstatic.  

All I have to do is melt chocolate with butter and maple syrup. Add pistachios and raisins. Crumble in graham crackers and let it settle in the fridge. And I have a scrumptious immensely snackable chocolate bar. Ottolenghi calls it a fridge cake. I call it my nemesis.


CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO FRIDGE CAKE
Adapted from Simple by Ottolenghi
Makes 25-30 small bars


10 oz dark Chocolate (I used Trader Joe's)
1 stick or 8 tablespoons Butter
2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
1 cup Raisins
3 tablespoons dark Rum
A large pinch of Kosher Salt
6 oz Graham Crackers (about 15 pieces)
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Pistachios


Line a 13x8 inch pan or dish with parchment paper.

Soak raisins in rum.

Fill a deep saucepan halfway with water and bring to boil.

Chop chocolate into 1 inch pieces. 




Put chocolate, butter, cut into eight pieces, maple syrup and salt in a heatproof bowl. 




Place in a heatproof bowl over the saucepan. The simmering water should not touch the bowl.  




Heat chocolate for 4-5 minutes. Then stir well till smooth.






Crumble graham crackers into 1 inch pieces.

Add raisins, 3/4 cup pistachios and graham crackers into chocolate. Stir till crackers are well coated with chocolate.







Spoon the chocolate into the lined dish. Smooth the top till it is flat.

Sprinkle the remaining pistachios over the top. Push them in lightly to embed. 


Let the chocolate sit for 15 minutes. 

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.




Cut into 2 inch bars. 



Refrigerate till you serve.




These bars make an ideal hostess gift for Carla and Victor. Some are parcelled off to Nikita as she visits. And the crumbs fall into my lap.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment