Friday, May 13, 2016

Yakamein



Now that's a funny sounding title.  What does Yakamein rhyme with? Lo mein, chow mein..something Asian! Then again, This hybrid title elicits laughs. I experiment with a Chinese Cajun Creole noodle bowl. This Mother's Day Rehan gives me The Southerner's Cookbook. This is his way of saying my food does not venture in that direction too often. I take the hint and run with it. This elegantly clothbound book is a lovely compendium of Southern chefs repertoire.  Strangely, the one recipe that jumps out is Yakamein. It practically screams 'make me... make me.' So I do.

A roast is called for but I use chuck steak in it's place. Store bought Creole seasoning is replaced by spices from my kitchen. I use Shanghai noodles in place of spaghetti. Cilantro in place of scallions. Just some small amendments and the house is smelling like a Asian food bazaar!!


YAKAMEIN 
Serves 4

1  1-2lb Chuck Steak
1/2 teaspoon Chile Powder
2 teaspoons Paprika 
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning 
1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper 
1/2 teaspoon Onion powder 
1-2 teaspoon Kosher Salt 
6 cups Water
3 tablespoons Soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Ketchup 
1 teaspoon Sriracha 
1-2 cup Cilantro leaves
2 hard-boiled Eggs, cut in half


Place the steak in a Dutch oven or a deep saucepan.

Sprinkle chile, paprika, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper, onion powder and salt over steak. 




Add water to steak. 

Set the pan over a high flame and bring the water to a boil. Turn flame to low, cover and cook for 2 hours till a knife goes in easily into the meat. 




Take steak out of the liquid and shred into bite size pieces.



Return the liquid to a medium flame. Add soy  and Worcestershire sauces, ketchup and sriracha. Simmer broth for 5 minutes.




Boil noodles. Drain. 




Divide noodles between 4 bowls.

Top noodles with steak.

Pour broth over noodles.

Top with cilantro and half an egg.

Enjoy!




The spicy broth has me reaching for water. Chile predominantly flavors the meat and broth. This bowl meal is cross pollination at its best. Chinese and Cajun puts 'me in' a great mood!



No comments:

Post a Comment