Sunday, July 31, 2016

Squash Fry




Squash is on the menu yet again! If this is tedious reading, by all means skip this part. Fair warning.. there are other veggies from the garden that I add to the mix. Change is elemental, buy squash still reigns supreme. My patch is bountiful and I'm just spreading the wealth.

I pick tiny zucchini with blossoms still intact. They are the size of my fingers. And I think they will make a good batter fry. Ones without flowers work just as well. I also pick green tomatoes and flat Romano beans. It gives me immense joy to eat what I grow. The batter is an old standard, amped up. White wine, egg and flour get a boost with lemon zest and pepperocini. Oil heats as I whisk and wash. The sizzle tells me it's time to eat.



SQUASH FRY
Serves 2-4


4 mini Zucchini with Blossoms 
15-20 Romano Beans
3 Green Tomatoes 
1 Egg
1/4 cup Flour
1/3 cup White Wine
1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
1/4 teaspoon Pepperocini or Chile Flakes
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt 
Several grinds of Black Pepper
1 cup Canola Oil for frying


Carefully wash and dry small zucchini, beans and tomatoes.




Cut tomatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices.

Whisk egg, flour, white wine, lemon zest, pepperocini and seasonings till the batter is smooth.




Heat oil in a wok or deep saucepan over high heat.

Dip zucchini in batter till well coated and fry till brown and crisp, turning often. This should take 3-4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to fry. Drain zucchini on paper towels.




Once zucchini are done, dip beans in batter and fry for 2-3 minutes. Drain beans on paper towels.

Dip tomato slices in batter and fry till crisp brown, anywhere from 3-5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Arrange  veggies on a platter, dust lightly with salt and serve hot.




Just picked veggies never tasted so good. The joy of walking to my garden, the greenery giving up these jewels, then making the most of this bounty in my kitchen,  is reward enough. That their taste is as it should be, is a bonus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment