Monday, July 25, 2016

Roasted Vegetables with Honey Chili Glaze





Something about mad dogs and Englishmen come to mind as I roast a bunch of veggies on a blisteringly hot day. Ever since I sample the roasted veggies at Pangea in Evansville, the itch to eat them again persists. The restaurant is a hip farm-to-table, contemporary cafeteria style eatery with an eclectic menu. The roasted veggies are outstanding! 

As the temperature soars outside, heat rises in my kitchen. I peel butternut squash, red onions. I dice red peppers and zucchini...yes...that's part of the teeming bounty. Romano beans and Brussels sprouts round out the veggies. Sweat pours off my face as I open and close the oven! The glaze is quick mix of sweet chili sauce and litchi honey, which adds a gentle sweetness. Litchi honey that comes all the way from Hong Kong. Thanks Tammie!!



ROASTED VEGETABLES WITH HONEY CHILI GLAZE
Serves 4-6

1 Butternut Squash 
1 large Red Pepper
2 cups Brussels Sprouts 
2 Zucchini 
2-3 Red Onions
10-15 green Beans 
3-4 tablespoons Olive Oil 
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt 
Lots of fresh cracked Black Pepper
2 tablespoons Honey 
1/2 cup Sweet Chili Sauce 


Heat oven to 400F.

Cut all butternut squash, red pepper and zucchini into 1/2 inches cubes.

Halve Brussels sprouts and beans.

Peel and halve onions. Slice vertically into 1 inch thick pieces.

Place veggies on a baking sheet. You might need 2 baking sheets.

Drizzle veggies with olive oil, salt and black pepper.

Roast for 20-30 minutes, till they brown. Watch carefully, moving veggies as they brown.




Whisk honey and sweet chili sauce well.




Take veggies out of the oven and pile them on a platter.

Drizzle veggies with the sweet chili glaze before serving.




Why am I baking on this sweltering day?? Some old friends arrive for lunch. Kavita's father was by Mum's side on the day my Dad passed away....eight years ago today. This slender thread that holds us together makes me dig deep, to give her family a memorable repast, to help me say thank you.








No comments:

Post a Comment