Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Cherry Tomato and Green Bean Salad




I invent summer from my own private CSA...right outside the kitchen. It gives me no amount of pleasure to look at the verdant patch from my perch in the kitchen. I revel in picking yellow beans minutes before I blanch them.  I leave bees in zucchini flowers, staking their claim to pollen.With a basket in hand, I pluck bowlfuls of Sun Golds, San Marzanos and heirlooms every morning. Summer issues of food magazines turn out a myriad of tomato recipes. I weave between gazpacho and salad......Salad wins by the length of ease! 



Water boils. Beans are picked. Plump small yellow cherry tomatoes are washed and halved. Dressing is shaken in a glass jar with minimal effort. The time between the call to dinner and the actual appearance of family, is all it takes to put together this simple salad. 


CHERRY TOMATO AND GREEN BEAN SALAD 
Serves 2-3


1/2 cup Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes or any other small Tomatoes 
A large fistful thin Green Beans 
1/4 cup extra virgin Olive Oil
1/4 teaspoon grainy Dijon Mustard
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
A large pinch Kosher Salt
Freshly ground Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1/2 teaspoon toasted Sesame Seeds
1 tablespoon crisp fried Shallots 


Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add green beans and let beans boil for 1 minutes. Remove from water and  run beans under cold water. Set aside.

Mix olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, soy sauce and sesame seeds in a jar. Screw lid on and shake vigorously. Or use a bottle. Or a bowl.




Wash and halve cherry tomatoes.

Arrange beans and tomatoes on a platter. 

Drizzle dressing generously over veggies, top with crisp shallots and eat! 




Notes

Leftover dressing can be refrigerated.

I keep crisp fried shallots in my fridge at all times. You could very well leave them out.




It's about the freshness in every bite. It's knowing that you can fearlessly eat what you grow. It's a matter of stepping out to get your dinner. Crunchy beans, sugar sweet cherry tomatoes and a lemony dressing....I cannot go wrong. With no GMO's to be found, but I live happily with these simple gifts of summer.








No comments:

Post a Comment