Friday, June 26, 2015

Pineapple Upside-Down Muffin Cakes




A friend sends us an enormous fruit basket. I put the contents to good use. First comes a luscious trifle made with oranges, apples, grapes and bananas. Then potent grilled pineapple margaritas, followed closely by a spicy black bean and pineapple salsa. I have two slices of pineapple left. Let me assure you there is no dilemma or dithering on what I should make. I happily whir and whisk the last bits into upside-down cakes. 

My mouth waters as I anticipate my childhood favorite. I modify an old cake recipe into this easily whipped up cakes. Since I only have two slices, I cannot possibly make the tried and tested pie plate version. A muffin pan lets me practice portion control. Or so I think. Each cup is filled with brown sugar, then topped with bits of pineapple. Heaping spoons of batter top the fruit. A hot oven lets them brown evenly.



PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN MUFFIN CAKES
Makes 12

2 slices fresh Pineapple or 1 cup tinned Pineapple tidbits, drained well 
12 generous teaspoons light or dark Brown Sugar (I used light)
1 stick Butter, at room temperature 
3/4 cup Sugar
1 cup Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 Eggs


Butter a muffin pan well. Or use a nonstick spray.

Cut pineapple into small tidbits.

Put a teaspoon of brown sugar into each muffin bottom.




Arrange pineapple tidbits over brown sugar.





Heat oven to 350F.

Place butter and sugar in a bowl of a mixer and beat on high speed till light and fluffy.

Add flour, baking powder and eggs and continue beating for 2-3 minutes. Batter should be thick, pale and creamy.




Divide batter between muffin cups.

Bake cakes for 25-28 minutes till tops are golden brown.




Take cakes out of the oven and cool on a rack for 5 minutes.

Run a knife around the edges of each cake.

Flip muffin pan onto a baking tray.




Take a bite of warm cake.  




Heavenly aromas mingle with summer breezes. My fingers are messy with syrup as I flip muffin cakes onto a baking sheet. Brown sugar glazed pineapple glisten on top of a crusty, moist cake. No plate required for me, as G asks for a fork. My cake disappears in seconds. And then it's time for seconds. Portion control be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment