Sunday, June 14, 2015

Hara Kababs





I hustle and bustle getting Father's Day lunch. Dessert is first...an enormous fruit laden English trifle. Chicken tikka is marinated North Indian style. I plan to grill and slather corn with chile and lime. I also want to make veggie kababs for the chef. This carefully planned repast is always a pleasure to plan and prepare. Father deserves the best.

Hara or green kababs are light, spicy and eye pleasing. I boil potatoes, mash them and mix them with greens. Greens like spinach, peas, fenugreek leaves, chiles and cilantro. Seasoned with chaat masala, they easily form into small discs. Frying these patties is a snap. 

I microwave corn for a few minutes before I put it on the grill. Chicken skewers take some time and assembly. The grill heats as I prep and fry.


HARA KABABS
Makes 8-10
DF. GF, VF, WF, EF


3 medium Potatoes 
1 teaspoon Canola Oil
1/2 cup frozen Spinach
1/2 frozen Peas
1/2 cup fresh Fenugreek leaves
1-2 green Chiles
1 tablespoon Cilantro 
1/2 teaspoon Chaat Masala
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1-2 teaspoon Canola Oil 


Peel and cube potatoes. Place potatoes in a pot, cover with water and boil till they are cooked. Drain.

Heat oil in a nonstick saucepan. 

Add spinach and peas to hot oil and saute till defrosted. 

Wash and slice fenugreek leaves and add to spinach. Continue to saute. And smoosh the peas as you cook.




Add potatoes and mash veggies. 




Slice green chiles and chop cilantro. Add to veggies.

Season with chaat masala and salt. 

Spoon veggies into bowl and cool.

When cool add cornstarch and mix well.




Take a golf ball sized lump of potato and shape into small disc. Do the same for rest of the potato mixture.




Wipe out the nonstick pan, return to medium heat and add 1 teaspoon oil to pan.

Slip potato patties gently into hot oil and cook till browned on one side. Flip patties  and brown the other side.

Eat them hot off the saucepan! Or reheat and serve them later.




NOTES

You could use fresh spinach and peas. Sliver the spinach before you saute. Boil peas before adding them to the spinach.

Make small patties and serve them as appetizers. They reheat well in a saucepan or hot oven. 





Chicken skewers and corn goes on the grill. We celebrate by opening some brewskis. Then a check on the meat reveals an emptying propane tank! Oops!!! Father and son run out to fill the tank. I wish my brother, who succinctly tells me I am a week too early. It's oops for the second time!!! My inner clock tells me this must be the day but the calendar tells another story. Disbelief and laughter accompanies the faux feast. I love the not-so-hara kababs. Replete, I compose this post. Disaster strikes yet again. Its oops into three, as I lose the first version of this blogpost. It definately is not Mother's Day! And so ends with tale of three oops. 







No comments:

Post a Comment