Sunday, March 29, 2015

Ricotta Fritters




Should I fry or should I bake? Fritter or cake??  It's more a train of thought that a question. Even I think it I know I will fry. Why? It's the easier of the two choices. One bowl and one frypan vs mixing bowls, cups, beaters and bakeware.....Hey..it's lazy Sunday. I have to make something to take to brunch. Nothing too complicated, hence this version of one-bowl fritters. I do love the way these puff up, all golden brown and soft. You think you are biting into a munchkin. Once you do, you know this is no heavy donut, but a much lighter, airier cousin. 

I throw together, eggs, sugar, flour, ricotta, and baking powder. A strong whisk yields a thick batter, enough to stand your spoon in! A pot of hot oil simmers as I drop tiny spoonfuls of batter in. Fritters brown evenly over medium heat. I watch amazed, as the balls of dough do jumping jacks by themselves in the hot oil. It's a carnival trick come to life! 


RICOTTA FRITTERS
Makes 25-30 small balls 

1 cup Ricotta 
3 Eggs
1/4 cup Sugar
1 cup Flour
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 cups Canola Oil for frying
Icing Sugar

Put ricotta, eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk till blended.



Add flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl and gently mix till you have a thick batter.




Heat canola oil in a wok over medium heat. 

Test oil by dropping a titbits of batter in. They should spring to the surface immediately. 

Using two teaspoons drop olive-sized balls of batter into hot oil. Fry 8-10 at a time. It is important to fry the balls over medium heat as they brown fast and you need a slow heat to cook the insides. The balls look shaggy as you drop them in. They will puff evenly as they brown.

Use a slotted spoon to turn balls so they cook on both sides. The balls have a tendency to turn by themselves. But if they do not, help them along with the slotted spoon.



Repeat till you finish the batter.

Drain balls on a cookie rack placed over a baking sheet.

When cool, dust liberally with icing sugar.





The first batch is eaten as it emerges!! Brunch is tomorrow. Sticky fingers beware!!! My effort is well camouflaged!



No comments:

Post a Comment