Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Oven Roasted Tri-Tip Steak




The comfort of my kitchen calls like a siren song. I ease back into my domain effortlessly. Reaching for a familiar knife, making a pot of espresso, hands holding my mug of hot tea...all these daily rituals bring solace to my heart. Nothing like absence as the old adage says!!!

I find tri-tip at the store! Joy! I like this cut of beef. Popular in California, the triangular shapes cooks well. Holds up to a spicy rub. And since my grill is icebound, sizzles aromatically in the oven. I use Geets' rub recipe. She has made this for us a couple of times. Love it, love it. Her rub is a gritty mix of coffee grounds, spices, garlic and onion. Steak is massaged and marinated. An overnight stint in the fridge as I have the time. I let it rest before it roasts. A burning hot cast iron pan is the secret to crusty roast beef. USE YOUR VENT!!! Sear the meat and send the smoking pan into a hot oven. Voila...30 minutes later, a perfectly cooked medium-rare piece of beef!!!


OVEN ROASTED TRI-TIP STEAK
Serves 4

1 2 lb Tri-Tip
1 tablespoon Olive oil

Rub
2 tablespoons Coffee grounds
1 teaspoon Cumin powder
1 teaspoon Chile powder
1 tablespoon Ancho Chile powder
1 tablespoon Oregano
2 teaspoons Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Onion powder
2 teaspoons ground Black Pepper
2 teaspoons Kosher Salt



Combine all the spices for the rub. 



Liberally sprinkle the Tri-tip with the rub. Store any leftover rub in a jar for future use.

Massage spices into the meat.



Marinate overnight or for at least 2-3 hours.

Preheat oven to 425F.

Place a cast iron pan on a high flame. Let the pan heat for 5 minutes or so.  


Drizzle olive oil over steak.

Sear the steak in hot pan for 2 minutes on each side. 




Place pan in oven and let meat roast 30 minutes uncovered for medium-rare, 35-40 minutes for medium. 




Remove from oven and place steak on a cutting board to rest for 5-7 minutes. Cover loosely with foil.

Slice thinly and serve with your choice of vegetables and sides



Steak knives emerge from their wood container. The cast iron pan has worked it's magic as I see a crusty, dark brown slab of meat emerge from the oven. A short rest and it's the moment of truth. We slice into medium-rare pieces of flavorsome meat. Smashed potatoes and roasted carrots pair seamlessly with steak. Once again I am happily reunited with my hearth and home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment