Saturday, August 30, 2014

Grilled Pita Burgers




Grilling is the Labor Day norm. But since there is a dead bird lying next to the grill I am weirded out!!! Sadly, I take to the indoor grill. I'm sure the meal will taste just fine inside the house. After all I am going to use a gas range ...just like my outdoor gas grill. As an Indian would say"same to same."

Than last time I made these grilled pitas I used ground lamb. I don't think I spiced the mixture enough. This time I use a 50/50 mixture of beef and lamb. I prefer the taste of both together vs just lamb or beef. Though we do love lamb in this house very much. The lamb/beef mixture is heavily infused with cumin, coriander, parsley and chockful of green chilies. I let the meat hang out in the fridge for a couple of days. This way the meat gets well seasoned and oozes spice. 

I use mini pitas as they hold the meat better. And are easier to grill. Faster too. Honestly...I haven't used the larger pitas as I will have to incorporate a huge amount of meat filling. Not a big fan of that! Trader Joes mini pitas make perfectly portioned pockets...in quite the alliterative way!


GRILLED PITA BURGERS
Makes 8

1 pound Ground Beef
1 pound Ground Lamb
1 teaspoon ground Cumin powder
2 teaspoons ground Coriander powder
3 green Chilies
1/2 cup Parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
8 mini Pita Breads

Mix beef and lamb in a bowl.

Slice chilies into very fine slivers.

Chop parsley finely.

Add cumin powder, coriander powder, slivered chiles, parsley, black pepper and soy sauce to meat and mix well using your hands.



Cover and refrigerate overnight for best flavor. If you are pressed for time, marinate meat for a couple of hours.

Let meat come to room temperature before cooking. 

Heat an indoor grill plate on high flame.

Use a sharp knife to cut along the edges of the pita in a half circle, to open it partially. Do this carefully because you do not want to make a tear in the pita. 

Divide the meat filling into 8 portions.

Take the filling and spread it inside the pita. 


Press down to close opening and seal pita.

Fill the remaining pitas in the same fashion.

Place the pitas on the grill rack or pan. 



Grill on one side for 3-4 minutes and then flip over and grill for an additional 2-3 minutes. The pitas get golden brown and have hatch marks when done. 

Serve them piping hot as an appetizer or along with a salad as an entree.



NOTES

The pitas could be cooked on an outside gas or charcoal grill too. Use the same method but cook via low heat. 

There is no need for any oil. Yay!



The pitas look and smell overwhelmingly good!! A crisp exterior holds a succulent, spicy mouthful of ground beef/lamb. I love the contrasting taste of soft and crunchy in each bite. And so convenient to hold! The other hand holds a tall frosted beer, my beverage of choice. Something hot, something cool on a sunny afternoon. These bite size burgers disappear fast. Now that the meal is over I hope to press the men into pest removal mode! 


No comments:

Post a Comment