Sunday, June 2, 2013

Breakfast with Friends...Smoked Salmon Frittata





Friends visit from India. Their days are filled with lunches, dinners and Broadway shows. I snatch them for a few hours for an AM treat--breakfast. I'm happy they come because NYC has its irresistible draw and I know I will lose them to the city that never sleeps once they leave my house.

I wrestle with ideas. American breakfasts are Danish and donuts, more sweet than savory except for eggs in several forms. but I do want to be standing making omelets or fried eggs to order. My time is spent better chatting with friends. I need something savory to take the edge of sweet treats. Challah gets a soak in a egg, milk and sugar bath, producing softly mottled French toast. Drop scones with dried cranberries bake on silpat-sheeted trays. Bacon sizzles. Potatoes and red pepper hash crust up in cast iron. And I set about to make the frittata. 

Eggs and smoked salmon are a marriage made in my heaven. Add spring onions and dollops of cream cheese...bliss! Piping hot from the oven, I cut squares of smoked salmon nestled in a firmly set eggy vibrant green custard. Quite delicious.


Smoked Salmon Frittata 
Serves 4 


6 Eggs
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
2 teaspoons Olive oil
6 Spring onions
1 cup Smoked salmon tidbits 
1/2 cup Cream cheese



Break eggs into a bowl and whisk well.

Season with salt and pepper.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Trim and slice the spring onions thinly using both the white and green parts.

Use an oven-proof skillet if you plan to serve the frittata in the skillet. Otherwise a regular non-stick pan works just fine. Set it on the stove and add the oil. 

Wait for the oil to shimmer, then add the spring onions and sauté for 3 minutes on a medium flame. Do not let them brown. You want them just wilted.

Whisk the eggs again and add them to the spring onions. Mix well and sauté for a few minutes. 

If you are using the pan in the oven, add smoked salmon tidbits to the eggs. 

Scatter cream cheese in dollops into the eggs using a teaspoon. The dollops should be small.

Place pan into hot oven for 30 minutes. 

ALTERNATELY.. If you do not use the pan, pour the eggs into an 8 by 8 oven-proof dish after adding in the smoked salmon.

Drop in the cream cheese as described above and follow the same directions to bake the frittata.

The frittata could be served warm or at room temperature as you desire.


NOTES

I made the frittata the night before and reheated it in a warm oven for 15 minutes.

I usually make my frittata in a cast iron pan which goes into the oven. Nice for a family brunch, but not so elegant for guests. Hence the Pyrex container.

Less salt is good as the smoked salmon is salty enough.





Coffee is brewing. The kettle whistles. The oven pings. And the doorbell rings. Hugs abound. It's been over ten years since we met. We catch up over breakfast. It feels so good.







No comments:

Post a Comment