Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Cevapi





The World Cup soccer semi-finals are on. No home teams are playing, just an adopted one...the Croatian contingent! Having just visited the country, I am bewitched by this region's inherent beauty, their warm hospitality, the fresh food and their love for all things Croatian. I lend my raucous vocal support to the team, sitting on the edge of my seat through the elimination rounds, hoping the team will make the finals. And complementing the cheering is some cold beer and cevapi.

Cevapi is a thick beef kebab, seasoned with chopped onion, minced garlic, paprika, chile flakes, salt, pepper and baking soda. The last item allows the kebab to retain a soft texture when grilled or pan fried. It works like a charm! Formed into thick oval patties, the cevapi are either grilled or pan-fried. I have tried both with equally great results. I use thick pita bread like the one I had in Zagreb. Pita breads are halved and smeared with ajvar. A Middle Eastern condiment, ajvar is a bright red relish made with eggplant, red peppers and chile. It adds an element of zest and zing.  A handful of arugula lines the pita, followed by a beef patty. More ajvar is dabbed on, along with sliced onion. It is game time!


CEVAPI
Serves 4-6


2 lbs ground Beef
2 small Onions
3 tablespoons minced Garlic
2 teaspoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Chile Flakes
2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
4-6 thick Pita Breads
2 cups Arugula
Ajvar
Red Onion, sliced thin


Place the beef in a bowl.

Finely chop onions. Add these to the beef.

Season beef with minced garlic, paprika, chile flakes, salt, pepper and baking soda. 

Mix well so spices blend into the beef. 

Cover and marinate beef for a couple of hours or overnight for best results.

Start the grill if you plan to cook them in that fashion.

Form beef into oval patties the size of your palm. 

Grill patties for 3-4 minutes per side. 

OR pan fry patties in a nonstick saucepan with very little oil.




Assemble cevapi by heating the pita breads.



Cut pita in half. Open up the half and smear with large tablespoon of ajvar.






Put arugula into the half pita.



Nestle the cevapi over the arugula.

Top with more ajvar and sliced onion. 



Enjoy them with sliced tomatoes and a cold beer!



In my rush and anticipation I forget to take pictures. The ones that I have taken are not my best attempt. The shakes are from too much excitement. My bad. Please trust me....these taste delicious. A slightly messy two handed meal, these succulent kebabs take me back to the original Zagreb kebab. Croatia steals my heart. The food reminds me of that happy visit. The cheering begin. Onward to a World Cup win?

No comments:

Post a Comment